Moray Council Tenant Downsizing Incentive Scheme

Do you live in a Moray Council property? Do you want to move to a smaller or more suitable property and get help to move? If yes, you may be interested in the Moray Council's downsizing incentive scheme.

This is a voluntary scheme that offers practical support and financial help to assist you to move to a smaller or more suitable home. There is no pressure to move if you don’t want to.

Downsizing can provide a fresh start for some. Benefits include:

• it can increase your independence as the property will be more suitable for your needs;

• it could reduce living costs, with lower bills;

• It may mean less upkeep and your home is easier to manage; and

• It also allows those living an adapted property and no longer need the adaptions to move to another suitable property, freeing up a very scarce resource for which there is a great demand.

Their aim is not just to help people to transfer to a smaller home but also to release properties that are in the highest demand in areas of greatest need.

To be eligible for the scheme you must:

  • be a Council tenant living in a three bedroom or larger property, which is now too big for your needs or

  • be a Council tenant or qualifying occupier who lives in an adapted property and you no longer need the adapted or specialist feature of the house and

  • have a satisfactory tenancy report that shows that:

  • your home meets our standards;

  • we are not taking antisocial behaviour action against you; and

  • you do not have unmanageable housing related debt;

  • and

  • your current home is in an area of demand and we can easily relet it.

What’s in it for you?

To help make sure your move is as stress-free as possible, Jo Pickford, the council's Housing Options Advisor for the Downsizing Scheme, can provide advice and practical support throughout the process. This can make a big difference and help you to feel more confident about moving.

They also offer financial help, however, funding for this scheme is limited. If you qualify for the scheme and there is funding left you will get a basic payment of £1500. In addition, they will also give you a disruption payment of £400 and £400 for each bedroom that you give up. For example, if you move from a 4 bedroom property to a 2 bedroom property you will be entitled to:

Basic payment £1,500

Plus disruption allowance £400

Plus (£400 per bedroom given up) £800

Total awarded £2,700

If you think that your property is no longer suitable for you and you would like to consider the scheme, then please get in touch. Jo can go through the process with you and answer any questions you may have.

You can find out more about the scheme, including how to apply:

• On their website at

• By phoning us on 0300 1234 566

• By emailing

Recent Posts

See All